AMAZING FEATURES of FilmToaster Dakota Platform
FilmToaster Dakota complete with LED starting at only $1499
FT45 Wedge/Rail Accessory Base - $399
World -wide installations available for Industrial/Museums/Archival Institutions
• Ultimate Platform Device Facilitates Transforming Analog Film to Digital
• Maintains the ambience of "FILM" while enabling conversion to digital
• Graduation smoothness and faithfulness of original film
• Swiss Army Knife functionality of film duplicators; all sizes, all cameras
• Digitizes 35mm, slide, medium format & 4x5 film
• Film Holder Sizes available: 35mm film, 35mm Slide Film Only, 35mm Slide/35mm strips or rolls, 4x5 Single, 120mm–645, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9
• Film Guide Assist Holder Insertion
• Digitizes in seconds compared to minutes with flatbeds/dedicated scanners
• 360 degree Rotating Lens Plate with firm locking
• Lens Plate Adjustable Vertically and with Rotation, Horizontally
• High Quality/Resolution limited only by your camera
• Includes lens connectors & Adapters, and Spacers
• Adapts your full frame, or mirrorless DSLR
• Built-in, yet removable Light Pad, AC operated.
• Includes Acrylic Plate for selectable lighting options
• Cover with interior access & DIY
• Mounts Vertical (native), Horizontal and 45 degrees with accessory base options
• Three 1/4"-20 Sockets
• Four Rubber Mounts for steady captures
• Constructed of durable 16-gauge metal
• Mechanically Pressed PEMS provide solid fastening points
• Construction allows DIY Customization
• Powdercoat Exterior • Powdercoat Interior • Anodized Exterior
• Dual Slots accept Film Holders 35mm through 4x5
• Magnetic Strips block unwanted light
• Open platform prevents obsolescence
• 24- Page Instruction Guide
• Small Desktop Footprint, 6x6x10 inches • Weights only 10 pounds
Although standard in most archival equipment inventories, document flatbed scanners are easy to use, but slow, and 30% original content lost because tedious film thickness issues compromise sharpness. Dedicated film scanners produce better results but also slow, touchy and ugly algorithms appear with high resolution scanning. Now, since film content begins as a pristine image, the FilmToaster and your precision digital camera —everything changes!
Toasting, that is, from the perspective of FilmToaster—digitally capturing 35mm, 120mm, or 4x5 into DSLRs—begins by placing film, filmstrips, or slides into film holders and inserting into film holder slot. Isn't that similar to toasting a slice of bread?
Setting new standards of scanning with a repeatable workflow, digital images of film can be captured on a memory card or tethered from the camera to a computer, then with one keystroke inverted in programs like Photoshop, or a special preset in Lightroom. At that point, the digital capture might also be cropped, tweaked, made ready for adding metadata. Slots, adapter rings, and technology designed on an open platform and offer customization opportunities for future usage. Imagine, in addition to speed, image quality, all within an ergonomically stable bench system, drum scanner resolution is achievable with the Film Toaster at 80% less cost!
In hands of advanced photographers, commercial film laboratories, digital libraries, university and governmental labs, archival installations, curators, imaging specialists, preservationists, and others acquiring cultural collections photographed on film, FilmToaster becomes a product capable of extreme image capturing capabilities.**
Exclusive to FilmToaster
Depending on cut length, 35 and 120 film strips of 4–6 require manual advancing and take longer, but higher capturing quality – and this method, easily outperforms batch scanning and the industry standard, flatbed technology.
In some ways FilmToaster's capture concept may be similar to slide duplicators popular decades ago but with dozens more features. In addition to experience in macro and closeup photography, a DSLR, mirrorless, or four-thirds camera body, equipment such as a macro lenses, extension tubes, add-on filter rings, might be required. With correct optics, settings on newer DSLR are relatively easy with auto settings. Other factors in process may take in consideration, a camera's sensor size, precise focusing, shutter speed, white balance, and alignment. With older, yet very reasonably priced macro lens, settings are almost always done manually. With recommended equipment, image sharpness and initial cropping with Film Toaster is achieved between 3-16 inches. With vast array of digital equipment available today, some experimentation may be required to obtain perfect and predictable results. Yes, it also accepts video cameras and some cell phone accessory lenses may be fitted!
Obviously, FilmToaster offers options not welcomed by everyone. Recently, it apparently ruffled the feathers of one flatbed manufacturer who labeled it, "a convenient $2000 copy stand." That's OK and actually, sheer flattery that a big conglomerate takes notice. Decades ago, Honeywell Repronar, Bowens Illumitran, Beseler Dual Slide Duplicator, and Kenro Spectra, manufacturers of similar analog slide duplicators, heard thunderous assertions from the 'big yellow box' towards their innovations which – with a slightly different twist – offered time saving photographic solutions in duplicating.
FilmToaster platform may be mounted on a tripod or tabletop in a horizontal position, however, its native and most ergonomically versatile position is vertical. The FT45 Wedge/Rail accessory base to mount the FilmToaster at a comfortable table top is available at $399.
More on how it works:
Concept and workflow of FilmToaster is passive and simple, yet highly effective. Lens and plate end attach to a rotating connector that connects to adapter thread of a macro or other lens capable of capturing closeups. Image cropping and minor alignments are easily made with lens board which may also be adjusted vertically. Included with FilmToaster is a AC operated Light Pad which provides flicker-free illumination. Or, for brighter or wider sources, an optional external LED, electronic flash or other source of illumination, may be used at outer front-end where an acrylic plate serves as a diffuser/stand. Amazingly, with its open architecture and customization potentials, FilmToaster supports a wide range of film holder sizes: 35mm, various medium formats, and 4x5. Seasoned professionals who formerly shot film will especially appreciate a 'black box' capable of hands-on film to digital integration, reminiscent of the darkroom as well.
As a bridge accessory mating film and digital, FilmToaster has no comparison. It will never become obsolete because it has no internal electronics...when updating DSLRs and lens, the FilmToaster accepts the update via threaded adapters.
Camera scanning medium format film is an area where FilmToaster excels like nothing else in world. Yesterday's 120 medium format cameras exploited numerous image sizes: 645, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, and even 6x10; all easily scanned in versatile open-faced 120mm holder available with FilmToaster. Film Holder Sizes available: 35mm film, 35mm Slide Film, 4x5 Double, 120mm–645, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9.
Short strips of 120 and 35mm film and slides must be advanced forward after each image but expect three to six seconds each for focusing and capturing. A 24-page operation guide is included. It is important to remember, for optimal results, some closeup photography experience is necessary using the above recommended closeup equipment and accessories.
More and more, with the FilmToaster’s low tech and passive concept that avoids obsolescence, you will grow to understand its long term value as one of your best investments as the ultimate innovation – from film to digital.
**To maintain low costs associated with customized small production, no returns allowed.**
All FilmToaster ship with:
FilmToaster Anodized Platform with rubber bumpers
FilmToaster Access Cover with plugs
4-Magnetized Side Plates
4-Magnetized Thumb Screws
10-Thumb Screws with nuts
Acrylic Plate with rubber bumpers
67mm Metal Outer Cap
Film Holder Guide (Attached inside enclosure)
LED Light Pad
49-67mm step up
52-67- step up
58-67 step up
62-67 step up
Lens Plate with 67mm Retainer, 67mm Cut out Metal Retainer,
72-67mm step down, 67mm Rotating, 67mm Macro Reversing
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS USING THIS EQUIPMENT
FilmToaster requires additional equipment not furnished or included with purchase. Also needed are the following similar to requirements in macro photography:
1. DSLR Camera with media card
2. General understanding of your DSLR and manual settings
3. Macro Lens/lenses with 49, 52, 58, 62mm connectivity, capable of acquiring 3 - 9 inch focus range
4. Set of manual or auto extension tubes
5. Platform or sturdy desk
6. Electrical connection
7. General understanding of macro & close-up concepts
8. Understanding of Post Production Software & Computers
* Although average image capture rate is possible at four 35mm scans (six seconds each) in approximately 30 seconds including focusing, selecting and inserting new strips in to the film holder and the image review, consumes time; therefore, yielding approximately 200 hourly.
**FilmToaster is a DIY professional-industrial product, not for novice photographers expecting an out of the box solution. Precision and predictable results are only attainable after testing with your equipment, lenses, and format.
For orders outside United States, FilmToaster is not responsible for any duties, taxes, or brokerage fees.
www.filmtoaster.photography • 1865 LAKE DRIVE •
ORANGEBURG SOUTH CAROLINA 29115 • 803•531•1662